It’s Friday again and that can mean only one thing…Friday 5 link up with Courtney at Eat Run Pray DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run for the weekly link-up. If you haven’t checked out these ladies blogs yet, you totally should. They are fun, feisty and not afraid to call it like they see it.
This week’s Friday Five Theme: Five Favorite Fuels (for running or other fitness activities)
1. I’ll be honest, I don’t get a chance to eat before my long runs and my stomach can be really sensitive about what I put in it pre-run. I’m talking about heartburn so bad that it feels like my head is going to melt off (Thank God for Tums). Race days I get up extra early to have breakfast but training days…I Gu (or some brand there of). I prefer chocolate, coffee, salted caramel and tri-berry flavors. Vanilla is a no go. And I can only eat the stuff if I don’t look at it, otherwise it turns my stomach.
2. During a run, Gu and water. I’ve been hearing a lot about people who eat things like gummy bears, Skittles, etc. but I’ve found that I can’t run and chew. My nose doesn’t work as good as it should so chewing and breathing don’t always work well together. During exercise I’m a mouth breather. It’s not pretty but it’s better than not breathing.
3. If I have time to pre-game my run, one of my favorites is almond butter and honey. A little protein, a little sugar and zoom!
Another favorite is greek yogurt and berries. You might not be able to tell but there’s yogurt under all those berries.
5. Post run I love chocolate soy milk and a banana or chocolate soy milk and almond butter and honey. Heaven forbid if I don’t eat shortly after I run. If I don’t eat I become like Godzilla stomping around the city…talk about cranky.
6. I know it’s Friday 5 but I have one more that I can’t live without…coffee. Gotta have it. Pre-run, post run, it’s all good.
What are your five favorite ways to fuel for your favorite activities?
If you go around reading blogs and other published items on the internet is seems that the whole world is eating clean. I try but some times my stomach is growling and it’s all about the convenance of just being able to eat and go before I try to gnaw my own arm off, especially on the weekends. I find the weekend much more challenging than during the week. During the week, I eat breakfast at home. 99.9% of the time breakfast is 2 eggs, poached, a piece of whole grain toast and a wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese. Super easy. Morning snack is greek yogurt with raspberries, blue berries and sometimes strawberries if their not crazy expensive or are in season locally.
Lunch during the week is more complicated for me. I usually have a sandwich on whole wheat sandwich thins with half an avocado, turkey, sprouts & a slice of cheese. Plus a pickle (gotta have that), some chips (usually rice chips but lately it’s been Sun Chips) & some type of chocolatey granola bar.
Afternoon snack has to be eaten by 3:30 at the latest. I can’t have it sitting in my stomach when I run or go to crossfit. I tend to be a bit of a barfy person if there’s food in my stomach when I work out. I will use Gu when I run but even that sometimes has a very upsetting quality to it. Thursdays run was done while burping green apple power shots. Icky. And I’ve had several occasions where I’ve had to run out of the gym thinking I was going to throw up. I do not want to puke in the gym. The rule is if you puke, you clean it and you owe the trainer 100 burpees. I don’t want any of that.
The snack itself is usually either a Clif Bar, or a Fiber One Protein Bar – Peanut Butter & Chocolate only and occasionally raisins.
Beverages are water (straight, with Nuun or with Mio) and coffee; on a rare occasion, unsweetened ice tea. I stay away from soda not for health reasons, I just don’t have any desire or taste for it. Neither my Husband or I are drinkers. I will have the occasional glass of wine but it’s pretty rare. Maybe just a handful of times a year on special occasions.
Dinner is up in the air always. It generally boils down to a handful of choices including peanut butter & honey sandwiches, salads with avocado & chicken, turkey sandwiches or some type of pasta. I don’t eat clean but I try to make the best choices that I can in that moment.
What are your favorite things to eat? Pre Run? Post Run?