It’s Friday again and that can mean only one thing…Friday 5 link up with Courtney at Eat Run Pray DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run for the weekly link-up. If you haven’t checked out these ladies blogs yet, you totally should. They are fun, feisty and not afraid to call it like they see it.
This week’s Friday Five Theme: Five Favorite Fuels (for running or other fitness activities)
1. I’ll be honest, I don’t get a chance to eat before my long runs and my stomach can be really sensitive about what I put in it pre-run. I’m talking about heartburn so bad that it feels like my head is going to melt off (Thank God for Tums). Race days I get up extra early to have breakfast but training days…I Gu (or some brand there of). I prefer chocolate, coffee, salted caramel and tri-berry flavors. Vanilla is a no go. And I can only eat the stuff if I don’t look at it, otherwise it turns my stomach.
2. During a run, Gu and water. I’ve been hearing a lot about people who eat things like gummy bears, Skittles, etc. but I’ve found that I can’t run and chew. My nose doesn’t work as good as it should so chewing and breathing don’t always work well together. During exercise I’m a mouth breather. It’s not pretty but it’s better than not breathing.
3. If I have time to pre-game my run, one of my favorites is almond butter and honey. A little protein, a little sugar and zoom!
- Another favorite is greek yogurt and berries. You might not be able to tell but there’s yogurt under all those berries.
5. Post run I love chocolate soy milk and a banana or chocolate soy milk and almond butter and honey. Heaven forbid if I don’t eat shortly after I run. If I don’t eat I become like Godzilla stomping around the city…talk about cranky.
6. I know it’s Friday 5 but I have one more that I can’t live without…coffee. Gotta have it. Pre-run, post run, it’s all good.
What are your five favorite ways to fuel for your favorite activities?